One would think wearing hearing aids for the first time would be a blessing for anyone suffering from hearing loss. While that’s true, there’s often a frustrating and challenging adaptation period for patients as well. Between hearing all of the background noises again and getting the hearing aids perfectly adjusted, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done. How long does it take to get used to hearing aids in California? It depends on your particular situation, but here are some factors to keep in mind:
- Practice: When wearing hearing aids for the first time, patients will hear all of the small noises we often block out. For example, the whistling wind and buzzing from electronics are a few of the sounds our brains basically tune out. For new patients, however, these sounds can be startling. Over time and with some practice, a patient’s brain will adapt to hearing these noises once again.
- Be patient: Keep in mind that this process takes time. Wearing hearing aids as much as possible can shorten the adaptation process, but it can still take weeks or even months for a patient’s brain to be fully “rewired” for sound.
- Rest: Your muscles are tired after working out in the gym. Similarly, a new patient’s brain will be worn out after wearing hearing aids for an extended period. Resting up and taking breaks is never a bad thing.
Steps for hearing aid success
How long does it take to get used to hearing aids in California? The following tips can help shorten the adjustment period:
- Choose the right audiologist: Step one in getting adjusted to hearing aids is finding a good audiologist. A highly-skilled professional will fit the patient with the proper hearing aids for their needs. A good audiologist will also work with the patient as they’re adapting to hearing once again.
- Positive attitude: Keeping a positive attitude throughout this adjustment period will make the process easier and often faster! With the right mindset, patients can breeze through this time in their lives and be much happier in the long run.
- Education: The more a patient knows about their hearing aids, the better equipped they’ll be when it’s time to use them. Finding the right audiologist is crucial in this step, as they can give patients all of the reading materials and other information they’ll need.
- Set realistic expectations: Going into this adjustment process thinking you’ll have perfect hearing right away will set you up for disappointment. Understand that it could be months before you’re fully comfortable wearing your new hearing aids.
Whether you need to be fitted for a pair of hearing aids or you just want a further explanation for the question, “How long does it take to get used to hearing aids?” be sure to choose Valley Hearing Center – Salinas. We’re the premier provider of hearing aids in California. Come in today to find out what we can do to help you overcome your hearing loss and live a more fulfilling life.
Categorised in: Hearing Aids
This post was written by Writer